Wednesday, May 28, 2008

a shining light

I wrote this as a journal entry on April 2, 2008- I think it is important and well worth sharing with anyone who sees this.

My sweet Sophia. Her outgoing personality and health issues have created opportunity after opportunity for her to be a shining light to others. When we go to the neurologist office their are children there with severe disabilities. Sophia's outgoing spirit ables her to go and talk with these children. Most don't know how or what to say to them. She speaks freely without judgement or fear. If they can't communicate verbally, she will go and touch them. Seeing her, not judging and an open heart, she is a testimony to others. She has no fear of difference. She embraces these people and makes it her personal mission in that moment to involve them in her life.
One story really stands out in my mind. Just after her second birthday she had a seizure during the night and off we went to the neurologists office. I was emotional, pregnant, and sad. We got to the office and a young teenage boy was in a wheel chair in the waiting room. His head was arched back, he had saliva running down his chin and a drain coming from the back of his head. I saw him and felt guilty for being so down, thankful that I wasn't that mother but guilty that I felt that way. Guilt- That was the emotion for that particular day. Sophia runs in and plays with the toys, shouts a quick hello to the receptionist and continues playing. I sat quiet and dumbfounded across from the boy and his mother. I didn't know what to say. Sophia walked up to the boy, his eyes followed her, she smiled at him, she touched his leg, and she started telling him about the toys. "There is a blue block over there...a fire truck... do you see it?..." She had no hesitation in her voice. She was thrilled to speak with him, even though he never spoke back. It was like she was having a conversation with him that the rest of us couldn't hear. She was not shaken by his wheelchair or oxygen; she held onto the chair while she spoke with him, asking him if he was comfortable. Then she ran off to play. I caught a glimpse of his mother before we were called in to see the doctor. His mother's solemn face was bright- in no thanks to me, but my two year old baby who showed me how I should have acted. Fearless, comfortable, and caring. she treated that little boy just like any other little boy- and that is exactly how she should have done.
Her outgoing, happy, personality made an impact that day and she was a true example of how we should all act. God blessed her with a beautiful spirit. I love you Sophia Ann.

1 comment:

  1. I don't know how I got to your blog, but I'm so glad I did! Your children are so beautiful and after reading a bit further, it sounds like you are an incredible Mommy! I look forward to reading more about how this story unfolds - beautifully Blessed, I'm sure!

    ReplyDelete