Wednesday, March 11, 2009

attributes

Tony and I have really been struggling with Sophia's 'attitude' in the past few days. So I printed and we read an article about 'spirited' children, which my wonderful daughter is indeed a spirited child. After reading it we decided to make a list of ten things attributes of our children. We used this part of the article to inspire us..

Most important of all, examine the way you describe your toddler. The "wild child" who is "stubborn," "exhausting," and a "crybaby" is also a spirited child who is persistent, energetic, and sensitive — all traits that are admired in adults. Use positive labels when discussing your child with relatives and teachers, and they'll come to see his wonderful attributes too.

And with increased self-esteem, your spirited child will want to learn to behave well. You'll know you're on the right track when your 3-year-old announces to Grandma, "I had lots of energy today!" instead of saying, "I was a bad boy." When you focus on your child's positive features and strengths, it changes your behavior, and that in turn changes your child's behavior.


This list was to take things that we often say with a negative connotation and say it as a positive attribute. I would encourage ALL parents to do this. It was fun and it really gave us a good outlook to what is sometimes a difficult part of our kiddo's personality.
Here is our lists-

Sophia
1. sensitive
2. caring
3. protective
4. intelligent
5. good helper
6. independent
7. artistic
8. friendly
9. imaginative
10. articulate

Troy
1.loving
2. energetic
3. fun
4. silly
5. strong willed
6. caring
7. inquisitive
8. physical
9. happy disposition
10. loves the outdoors

When we wrote it out like that it's hard to think that any of these attributes could ever be a negative.
I love my kids!
This is an excellent exercise to do as parents! I am going to type these words and hang them in their bedrooms, that way my darlings will have lots of positive words around them while they sleep and play :)
OK- your turn... I want to see your lists!!!

2 comments:

  1. This is a wonderful idea Holly!!!! I think you were meant to be a mother, you're SO awesome! Love you, friend!!! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very true, I learned this in my studies of psychology. It's amazing the damage people do to their children by reflecting on the negative and making comments, without realizing they are collapsing their childs self confidence and worth.
    Very good job on those lists - I would have to say you've got yourself a couple of GREAT kiddos.

    ReplyDelete