Monday, March 30, 2009

not again.. another seizure

I am so sad.
Last night Sophia had a pretty serious seizure. I put her to bed around 8pm, she had said that she had a headache, but I figured since Tony had been suffering from sinus headaches over the past few days that maybe she was being a little copy cat. Tony said she felt warm when he went to kiss her good night. I check her temp and it was 99.0, I really didn't worry about it because she was under the blankets and I figured she was just warm. I went back up to check on her about 9:30 because I was getting tired and wanted to check her temp before I went to sleep. She was still awake and felt about the same as before. When I walked out of her room she said, "mommy, come back and check on me in a little while ok?" I said ok and went down stairs and fell asleep. Tony was awake watching a show about sharks. He woke me about 1045 and said he heard a noise in her room. I run up stairs to check on her and at first I thought she was sleeping. She was face down on her pillow, but I noticed her hand was jerking, I pushed her onto her side and she was seizing. I picked her up, carried her down stairs, told Tony she was seizing. We took her into the kitchen and laid her on the cool floor, she was warm, but not hot, we got dishcloths and cooled her off. This seizure lasted a long time. I had the diastat but it has been so long since we have had to use it(about 8 months), I didn't know if it was expired or not and I couldn't find the expiration date... I had no contacts in and was kinda' disoriented from sleeping. I was timing the seizure and it was about 8 minutes since the time we found her and she was still seizing so I decided to just call 911. She was grey and her lips were purple, we were reminding her to breathe but her breaths were short and shallow. The ambulance got there and they started her on oxygen, the seizure stops but she was postictal -postictal state is the altered state of consciousness that a person enters after experiencing an epileptic seizure, such as those occurring with frontal lobe epilepsy. It usually lasts between 5 and 30 minutes, but sometimes longer in the case of larger or more severe seizures and is characterized by drowsiness, confusion, nausea, hypertension, headache or migraine and other disorienting symptoms. Additionally, emergence from this period is often accompanied by amnesia or other memory defects. It is during this period that the brain recovers from the trauma of the seizure. She stayed postictal for a long time, she had her fists clinched up by her head (like a baby) she was grinding her teeth and she wouldn't look at us. Her eyes were fixated to the left, she wouldn't blink, wouldn't talk, wouldn't respond. She stayed like this for a very long time. The firefighter was asking me to have her speak, ask her the dog's name. She wouldn't I would ask her if she wanted the dog, if she would tell the firefighter the dog's name, anything to get her to talk.. nothing. Then once the ambulance got there she was still postictal she wouldn't move her arms but her eyes would look around the room and her jaw was clinched but she would mutter "uhhuh" and "nah" for yes and no. At one point they stuck her foot for a blood sugar test and she screamed "Daddy" that was great to hear but she was still very much not 100% They EMT asked me if she was always like this, if this was "her normal" I said no. They said ok, we are going to the hospital. So off we went. She was posictal the whole 25 minute trip to the hospital. Then when they opened the back of the doors to the ambulance she opened her eyes, looked around and said "We are at Mimi's work everyone!" SOPHIA!!!! I can't believe it. Then though, she did get a bit disoriented, talking about the weather and saying that she was upset that it was spring time.. at least she had words. By 130am she was much more coherent and was asking for her Mimi and she wanted to go home. Mimi got there and took us home. My poor sweet baby. It was beautiful to watch her this morning driving her motorcycle around the driveway and coloring with chalk and kicking her soccer ball. Praise God! We are going to head to the doctor tomorrow and to Children's Hospital to figure out what is going on with her. We are probably going to have some MRIs, EEGs, and CAT scans- to get up to date especially since it has been so long and she is currently on no medication. Please keep her in your prayers. Thanks.

1 comment:

  1. Holly, how scarry! I am sorry that you all had to go through this, please tell Sophia that we are praying for her and that we love her!!

    ReplyDelete