Thursday, March 18, 2010

St. Patrick's Day 2010

What a wonderful day we had yesterday!
I came home from work at 7am, got Sophia dressed for her St. Patty's Day party at school. She wore a little green shirt that said, "Everybody loves an Irish Girl" she worse little capri's and a green bow in her hair. She had green and pink socks, with green and pink shoes. Troy wore a green shirt with a monster on it that said, "Feed Me." I took a shower and went to bed. Tony took Sophi to school then he came back for the party at 10am. When they got home from school around noon I was still sleeping... I got up at 1pm and went to the grocery store. I got all the stuff for our St. Patrick's Day dinner; I got all of the things I would need for corn beef with red potatoes and carrots, sauerkraut, and corn muffins. When I got home Sophia Ann was wide eyed- not napping! So I let her help me make the green cupcakes for desert. I was just about to add the green dye to the mix when Troy got up. I told him to come look while I mixed the color in, he peered into the bowl and said, "eww yuck momma!" and took his blanket over his shoulder and went to lay down on the couch. Not exactly the reaction I was looking for. The kids went outside to play and I decorated the dining room with a green table cloth.
Tony did some research about St. Patrick's Day and why we celebrate it. He gave a little speech at dinner time. He loves history so it was nice for him to show off his interests.
Here's a short bit of what he told us....

Patrick was born in Roman Britain. When he was about sixteen he was captured by Irish raiders and taken as a slave to Ireland, where he lived for six years before escaping and returning to his family. He entered the church, as his father and grandfather had before him, becoming a deacon and a bishop. He later returned to Ireland as a missionary, working in the north and west of the island. Legend credits Patrick with teaching the Irish about the concept of the Trinity by showing people the shamrock, a 3-leaved clover, using it to highlight the Christian belief of 'three divine persons in the one God'. St. Patrick died in 493, and by the eighth century he had become the patron saint of Ireland.

The food was delicious.
My mom and sister came over for a plate too. We invited Tony's parents but they were unable to make it. Tony's mom has been selling Mary Kay and she has become quite successful. She had a meeting to go to, so they couldn't come over. My grandma had cooked at her house already so they weren't able to make it either. It was nice though. The kids ate early then they watched a movie that Tony had picked up for Sophia. Tony and I ate together, very nice. I like eating with my hubby and not having to worry with the kids and their mess. By the time we ate, their messes were cleaned up and they were sitting quietly on the couch. Then, my mom and sister came over for their plates on the way to the mall.
It was a late night but very fun. The kids went to bed around 9, then Tony and I watched a movie and went to bed.
Tonight, I have a ton of homework that needs to bed done. I am delaying the inevitable, so I better get to it.

Hope everyone had a very happy St. Patrick's Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment