Thursday, April 1, 2010

Sneaky Chef

I am not the best cook, nor the organic, health food only mom. But I like a variety. I do enjoy cooking, even though I don't think I'm that great at it. I like quick easy recipes, healthy, but I do let my kids eat chicken nuggets and hot dogs on occasion.
My class this semester is health and well being of children and families. It has sparked a desire in me to have my kids be healthy; physically, emotionally, nutritionally, academically... healthy. Health is more than nutrition; there is so many parts of a person that can be healthy or unhealthy. Now, no, my kids are not unhealthy, but when studying a subject you do realize things that you could do to improve your life. So- in my quest for health. I'd like all of us to eat more vegetables. We don't eat enough veggies. This is not a new revelation, I have been thinking about this for a while. I personally don't like veggies myself and I don't blame my kids that they don't like them either. It is a terrible thing that I have passed onto my kids. Troy is a little more open, more like Tony that way. Troy loves tomatoes, salad, green beans, he's more open than Sophia. Sophia doesn't like an veggies and the only reason she eats green beans is because Tony has her convinced if she doesn't eat vegetables her "butt will get clogged"
(constipated). Lovely right?
So, I heard about Sneaky Chef, actually Deceptively Delicious was the book that I was told about. I went to Books A Million and looked at Deceptively Delicious. It was on clearance for $6.95, score! But the recipes all looked really in depth, and I'm all for quick and easy. One of the sales associates came over to me and suggested Sneaky Chef, apparently it was the original recipe book for sneaking veggies in foods. I looked at Sneaky Chef which was on clearance too, for $5.95, even better! I ended up getting this book because the recipes were easier and I liked the way the book was laid out.
So tonight I made boxed mac n cheese, added orange puree *which is sweet potato and carrot puree, the kids had no idea and LOVED the dinner. We also had chocolate pudding with hidden spinach which was GREAT!
So, I have a new favorite cook book! If you are trying to get your children to eat vegetables and having as hard of a time as I do try the recipes in this book! And yes, I too am loving the recipes and I'm so glad I can eat vegetables and mask the taste, not just for the kids, but for myself!
I can't wait until someday when Sophia asks me for my mac n cheese recipe. Muahhahhahha...

1 comment:

  1. Wow great deal on the books too! I have looked at Deceptively Delicious before but of course we can't use anything really for Paulie.

    ReplyDelete