Thursday, July 22, 2010

my latest find...

I got a bargain yesterday!!
A very nice family in our subdivision is moving to China! They are both teachers and they previously taught at a private school here in town. They are moving to teach at an international school in China. They are moving with their darling daughter who will attend the school were they will be teaching. Such a unique opportunity for their family. I am sure God will bless them in their travels and all their endeavors.
Now, for the bargain I got... A few months ago this family had a garage sale, selling most of everything in their home. We weren't able to go but I did drive by and noticed a few things of interest. Yesterday I was walking the dogs and I noticed a white cabinet thing in their garage.. one of the few things left. I figured it wouldn't hurt to knock and ask them if the cabinet/dresser thing was for sale.
The husband and daughter answered the door and he said I could just have it! FREE! I won't argue with that.
So, it needed a bit of work.. but here is what I got.





I decided to paint to a dark, gray blue color called 'seal pup'... Sophia picked it from a choice of a few other colors. We spent $12.12 on paint. Got home and began working... I let the kids paint the back, the side that would go against the wall.. LOL.. I put there names, ages, and dates on the back when they were done. Here is what they did...





And here is what I did...



With a little help from Troy...


Now Sophia placed herself in the A/C for the most part. She's a smart girl.. It was HOT working in that garage.

Here is the before picture of my dining area in the great room. Needed a splash of color if you ask me! ;)



So I switched some things around.. took the leaf out of the table, removed the broken chair from the dining room, and switched around some candles and pictures...
TADA!!






Let me know what you think? Oh, and you might be wondering why I decided on the dining room? We are embarking on a homeschooling journey, Sophia will be in preschool this year so we are calling it, "pre-homeschool." I needed somewhere to hid all of the 'fun stuff' that I have been finding for our "pre-homeschool" year. ;)
This will work just perfect!

5 comments:

  1. That looks GREAT!!! So....do you know what one of my hobbies is?? To refurb furniture. I buy things at garage sales, junk store or GoodWill and refurb them. I LOVE IT!!! I also love that you let the kids paint the back. When one of the kids get that piece of furniture they will cherish the back and remember that time with their mom. HOW SWEET!!! You’re so creative

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it! Great color choice and it looks good in the dining room. I can't believe how fast you got all that done! (I'm still sitting on the little desks!!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great project, Did add a liitle color to the dinning room. Love the paint job the kids did, tell them they are artist!
    Love to all!
    Aunt Sheri

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice! And what a great buy, FREE, gotta love that word. I think it looks great in the dining room too! Good idea :)

    ReplyDelete