Friday, January 7, 2011

Mission: Rescue Tracker

A few weeks ago my cousin and I met up for some Chick Fil A with the kids. Sophia and Troy loaded into the car with their handfuls of toys.
My children feel it is necessary to bring Barbies, action figures, Littlest Pet Shop babies, rocks, magnets, anything they can find on their way to the car. After multiple requests not to bring toys in the car, I have finally decided this is a battle I do not want to fight... so we have an understanding whatever they bring in the car they are responsible for. If it gets lost or broken it will not be replaced. Their toys are safe at home and if they get leave them in a store... oh well. Also, if they bring toys to a place where other children will be, they have to be prepared to share them.
On this trip Sophia brought her favorite beanie baby "Tracker". "Tracker" was one of the many beanie babies my sister and I acquired when we were little. My mom kept them all in a plastic bin and she has given some to Sophia, they are her favorite toys! "Tracker" went with Sophia to play in Chick Fil A, he joined us during lunch, and then he joined us on an errand to the post office, and when we went into JoAnn Fabrics. I warned Sophia that she should leave "Tracker" in the car... she didn't. And- the inevitable happened, "Tracker" got lost. We were loading back in the car and "Tracker" wasn't with us. I closed the door to the van and got in the driver seat, I knew this was going to happen...
Sophia was crying, I had to stick to my guns about this... I always warned them that they should they loose a toy it would NOT be replaced, I would not go searching for a lost toy...
"Sophia I am sorry but that is why I tell you not to bring your toys in the stores, I hope you have learned your lesson, but Mommy is not going to search through the store for your toy, we will call them later to see if someone turned him in."
She cried the whole way home. I felt that lump in my throat, I knew she loved "Tracker" because he belonged to me and my sister when we were young. Oh of all the things she could have lost! I called the store when we got home and they said it had not been found.
That night Tony and I went on a date. After dinner we decided we would go back to the fabric shop to see if we could rescue "Tracker"... we searched and searched... I am sure we were quite the sight, all dressed up, searching around the store, while I described to Tony which toy is was, "a small hound dog, sad eyes, brown and white spots, the TY paper tag has been ripped off, but it still has the red plastic in his ear..."
I asked a few employees if anyone had turned it in, they said no. Then just as we were giving up, one of the employees walked up, "Is this it?"
YES!!! She had found "Tracker"
We got home that night and we gave Sophia the missing pup, she was so excited! Mission Accomplished! "Tracker" is safe in Sophia's room... and he has stayed there ever since. :) Lesson learned, for now...
Isn't he the cutest?

No comments:

Post a Comment