Saturday, February 14, 2009

Valentines Day Shopping with Kids

I hit up the stores yesterday with the two kids in tow. What a trip this was. My darling daughter did not have a nap yesterday and was a holy terror in the stores. Weaving between innocent shoppers. I commanded her to hold one hand on the cart at all times. My daughter has an issue with authority, it must be a trait she inherited from her father. You would have thought by the way she was screaming that I tied her to a ticking time bomb and strapped her to a speeding train. As we walked through the store it was all I could do not to jump into the middle of a clothing racks and hid from them. Every shopper starred as we walked by, I swear I heard people chanting 'dead man walking dead man walking'. As we neared the card aisle, people heard us coming and cleared out. After about two minutes of looking I had the entire aisle practically to myself, myself and my screaming daughter that is. Oh, my son was there too. He was so completely entertained by the spectacle that his sister was I hardly noticed him. He sat quietly and watched as she jumped up and down screaming while constantly holding one hand on the cart. -At least she was obeying. I figure in her mind, she must have thought that if she was going to have to obey she was going to let everyone and there dead grandmother know that she was not happy about it. She succeeded, setting the bar high, the over achiever that she is.
I was trying my best to ignore her. I began to read cards, there were lots of cards. I got one for my husband, one from the kids for him, one for my best friend, one for my son, one for my brother (he is single this year), and I was missing someone... oh yes, the one screaming by my cart. Now at this point she looked like the character on the reach toothbrush commercials with her mouth as wide as her entire face, looking at the ceiling, screaming... what kind of Valentines Day card could I possibly get for her!? Maybe some hot tamales would suit... I did find a card, after seriously considering purchasing some cotton balls for my ears. Oh, I also then forgot razors and who wants to forget razors on Valentines Day. Sorry honey. :)

1 comment:

  1. Haha,
    reminds me of me, when I was little.
    Hope you had a good valintines day[:

    ReplyDelete