Saturday, December 10, 2011

the good mothers...

and I hear her say, "I just want this time to pass by quickly"

I've said it before... no one said it was going to be easy but no one told me it would be so difficult. It's not all snuggles and bedtime stories. Sometimes it's screaming, loud screaming, at 4am... screaming that might wake the neighbors. Sometimes it's cheerios smashed into the carpet, sticky hands on clean windows... but hold onto it because you are right, it passes quickly, and when this time is over you will wish they were little again.

and I hear her say, "I watched her graduate from college today and all I could remember was bringing her home from the hospital"

I remember bringing mine home too. It wasn't all that long ago, but listening to this I realize it is a moment a mother cherishes, a story she never forgets. I remember holding them for the first time. I remember kissing their bald heads. Thinking they were the most perfect beings on this earth. Your job isn't over momma, she is a woman, but you are still her momma, our job is never over. Just as you remember that day, she remembers you, your smell, your voice, your hair, your touch.

Being a mother, being a good mother is no easy task.

It requires sacrifice, sacrifice of sleep, some days sacrifice of showering. It means you live for them, from tending their boo-boos to mending their broken hearts. Each stage in life is a new sacrifice and for the good mothers it goes by too quickly. It may not always be easy, beautiful or joyous, but these are the moments that make us, good mothers.

Too quickly come the moments...

from hearing their heartbeat, she prays all is healthy

their first steps, she is so excited watching them learn

the last time they let you rock them to sleep, just a kiss on the forehead will do

the day they tell you they don't need you to tuck them in... oh sweet one, you may not need me too, but I need me too

their first haircut, I cried as every curl hit the ground

the last time they need you to drive them to the store, she quietly went out and prayed over the steering wheel of his truck

the steps across the stage at graduation, she remembered the day bringing that baby in the pink blanket home from the hospital

It never ends, she watches them grow, loves them, keeps them, she is their safe place- always their mother, their good mother.

No comments:

Post a Comment