Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Totally Blog Worthy





Recalling past posts about Troy not sleeping anywhere besides his crib... he used to cry and climb back into his crib when we tired to move him to a big boy bed. I found him one night close to 11 o'clock sitting in the living room with Tony's ball cap on drinking his bottle at the dining room table because he hated his twin bed.
Well, I started looking for a car bed for him a few months back. Tony saw a twin race car bed at a thrift shop for $20 by the time he got a hold of me to see if I wanted it the bed was purchased by someone else. So I found a fire truck bed on craigslist for $35 yesterday. I like the fire truck bed because it has the high walls around the back and kind of mimics a crib. Tony's brother Gabe mentioned one day that Troy probably likes the crib because it is enclosed and makes him feel safe, "like his little nest", I laughed it off at the time but then Tony and I started joking about Troy and his "nest"/crib.
Well, I found the firetruck bed and called the guy, it was still available. I called my brother to see if we could go pick it up with his truck. It was set we would go get the bed at 430 when the kids got up from their nap. I posted on Facebook how excited I was to have found such a great deal. Not a minute later my friend Kati's husband Bradley called my phone and said "why are you buying a fire truck bed when I have one sitting in my attic?"
I don't know why I didn't think to ask them!? I knew they had one from their son, I guess I thought they had sold it when Paul got to big for it. Nope, they still had it in the attic! Awesome! Troy got his new fire truck bed from Sophia's future husband Paul! It was even better when Katie and Paul brought the bed over to our house. Sophi loved seeing "Paulie" as she so lovingly refers to him. And Katie and my brother took down the crib and we rearranged Troy's room and set up his new bed. Did I mention they took down the crib? Uhh.... my heart cried. That was Sophi and Troy's crib. My sweet babies!! It was really hard to see them take that crib apart. Knowing that we aren't going to have anymore babies sleeping in that crib and knowing that I brought both my babies home from the hospital in but them in that wooden crib... I may see if I can have someone make my casket out of that crib and take it with me when I die :)
I was nervous about him not wanting to sleep in his bed, but he was a sweet boy and got up once to tell me he needed more milk, then again to tell me he was poopy, which he was not. After that he was asleep by 840 and stayed in his bed until he woke up at 8am. Sweet boy!
So now we are too nap time the next day. He hasn't gotten out of bed but has called me in to tell him he needed more milk. I am trying my hardest to get him to do like Sophia did when she was little. Once I put her in her bed she wasn't allowed to get out unless I came and got her. Sophia was a little saint and followed by this rule like an angel. She never would get out of her bed without permission. I don't expect Troy to follow Sophi's steps completely but I do expect some kind of understanding that you don't get up without permission, nap time and bedtime will is not a free for all. How did I do this with Sophia? I bought Super Nanny's book and followed her directions about bedtime routine and staying in the bed. Lots of consistency and repetition for sure :)
We shall see how that goes. Sometimes I wonder if Troy's will is stronger than mine though. I have learned one thing in parenthood, never say never! :)

2 comments:

  1. Yippie! I'm so glad that he did so well. Hopefully he will continue to do good for you! Thanks for the monitor. We put our little one in her room last night and I did okay sleeping in my room with the monitor. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awwww, that bed is sooo cute!!! Hope this will do the trick :)

    ReplyDelete