Thursday, March 24, 2011

am I doing a good job?

I wrote this late last night, I read through my draft and as I questioned whether or not I should publish this... I decided why not. I'm sure I'm not the only women who asks herself "am I doing a good job?"
Some women make it look so easy...
clean house, supper on the stove, family photos hang on the walls, happy husbands, clean and well-mannered children... it all seems so peaceful. So put together...
why can't I pull it off?
I have laundry piled like a mountain on the couch, books and art projects half finished scattered across the dining room table, dishes piling up in the sink and the dishwasher needs emptied, I doubt my family photos will ever get hung up, and don't even get me started on the kitchen floor, and some days I really think my children are quite possibly the most rotten kids on the planet, I question myself as a wife, mother, and child of God, I wonder if I'm doing a good job?


These women seem so gracious, so organized, so put together... then just as I begin to compare and wonder if I'm doing a good job...
A peace surrounds me as I think about what I did do today...
I put smiles on the faces of the most important ones in my life.
I kept track of medicines to keep them healthy...

I read scripture and prayed for my rotten ones...

We laughed...
We painted and I washed red, blue, yellow, and green fingers...
We played "Momma Bears" and crawled on the floor while trying to pick up a little.
I hugged Super-Man when he cried...
I made good choices...
I made bad choices...
I asked for forgiveness...
I spoke to a good friend on the phone...
I burnt bacon and fed it to the dog...
I cried when I talked about the love of my Savior...

I went to a coop planning meeting...
I washed Rapunzel's hair..
I read, reread, and turned in my own homework...
I cut, glued and taped part of our family scrapbook...
I kissed a curly headed boy and tucked him in...

I picked up countless articles of clothing...
I sang a lullaby to a five year old as I prepare for the day she won't ask me to
sing her to sleep anymore...

So what now? It is 12:40am and I can hardly open my eyes? I'll walk the dog, put her in her crate. Go wake up my daughter, so she can try to go potty, I'm sure she had to much to drink before bed. Kiss that curly head one more time. Add another load of laundry to the pile on the couch, but the clothes in the washer into the dryer. Take my contacts out, wash my face, brush my teeth and snuggle up next to my handsome hubby... and start all over again.

So maybe I don't want to have it all put together? I kind of like doing this instead of that... maybe...I am doing a good job.
I pray that I will find confidence in being the a follower, wife, and mother... always learning and trying to be better than the day before.
Let your light shine before men, so that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father in heaven. Matthew 5:16

2 comments:

  1. This is just beautiful Holly!!! I love you a million times over and you're the kind of wife/mother I'd like to be someday!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just thought you should know that you made this not so tough girl over here on the other side of cyberspace just about ball my eyes out! I so understand the feeling of that question. I loved this and I am very glad you chose to publish it. I have been slacking on the blog reading and writing but...this was right on time. :) Love you girl!

    ReplyDelete