Saturday, March 19, 2011

I'm too busy for this sick stuff-

Tuesday night, shortly after writing my 100th post :) I started getting a sharp pain in my left side. I have a history of ovarian cysts so I kind of thought that is what it was. If you have had a cyst rupture you know they are extremely uncomfortable. I went to sleep and woke up Wednesday morning in a lot of pain. Tony was getting ready for work and I decided I would make a quick trip to urgent care (in my past experience, usually the pain from ovarian cysts don't last more than 6 hours- so I wanted to get checked out). Urgent care got me in and out saying they thought I had a UTI and kidney infection. I was glad for a quick diagnosis but I wasn't really convinced that is what it was.
I have never had a UTI or kidney infection but from the papers that the urgent care gave me I had very few of those symptoms, except abdominal pain. The doctor in Urgent care told me if the pain got worse to go to the emergency room. Well, I came home, Tony went to work, we ran a few errands, I picked up the antibiotic they gave me, I got the kids lunch, we hung out, took a nap, took Troy to karate, made dinner, and the pain was just getting worse. I thought maybe I had just done to much so when Tony got home I laid down. Around 8 I got up to change clothes and put on a pair of pajama pants with an elastic waist, when the pants hit my side the pain was so sharp on my left side... no way was this a UTI. I decided to go to the ER, I rationalized that I'd rather sit in the ER than lay in bed all night worrying and being uncomfortable.
So off to the ER I went- the ER doctor told me, "forget everything the doctor in urgent care said, you don't have a UTI or kidney infection but we will figure out what is wrong with you." Thank goodness!
Well after a 1/2 the night stay in the hospital, pelvic exam, and a CT scan, they told me my gallbladder looked like a "sac of marbles", full of stones. They told me to follow up with my primary doctor to set up the appointment to have my gallbladder removed. Now- if you know anything about anatomy, the gallbladder is on the right side, which didn't really explain left side pain- but the doctor assured me that it was deferred pain from the other side and not unheard of when it comes to gallbladder pain. So they sent me on my way and told me to continue taking the antibiotics because it wouldn't hurt me and may help with inflammation. So home I went at 3am, to sleep.
Tony stayed home Thursday to help me around the house because I still had bad pain. I scheduled an appointment with my primary care doctor for Friday at 4pm and rested a lot on Thursday.
Friday, Tony went back to work and I took the kids to play with their friends at a Jungle Zone (a huge air conditioned warehouse, full of bounce houses- perfect place for me to sit and them to run!), Tony got home from work around 3 and my friend Laura brought her daughter, Hannah over to play with the kids so Tony could take me to the doctor. My doctor checked me out and said that indeed my gallbladder had to come out. The surgery will probably be sometime next week. She was surprised that the hospital didn't admit me and just do surgery when I was there on Wednesday. I have no idea why they didn't but whatever... here we are let's schedule it soon, it hurts! So- I prepared myself to deal with this pain for at least another week.
Last night the pain was getting worse and worse, I got up this morning and called my mom. She said, "don't eat anything." I ended up getting checked out by a friend of hers who is an excellent surgeon, amazing doctor. He read my CT scan from Wednesday and checked me out. AND NOW SOMEONE WITH A BRAIN!!!
Yes, the gallbladder needs to come out, but that is not what is giving me trouble- this is a problem that needs addressed but is not what is causing the pain. I am having a diverticulitis attack and needed some strong antibiotics to clear it up, he said if I'm not better by Monday they will admit me for IV antibiotics or if I start feeling worse to come back, since it this has gone all week undiscovered I am risk for a perforated bowel- NOT good! So until Monday I'm on a liquid diet and supposed to take lots of medicine and rest. I'm so glad he caught this and thank him for his help!! I'm already feeling better- I think because I haven't eaten anything since last night. I don't know how these doctors have missed this, it says it right on the CT report.. oh my, thank God for the one good doctor who reviews and listens to his patients, and I'm not even his real patient. :)
So- now that we know what is going one I am hoping to be on the mend, but what a week this has been. Surgery at some point during the next few weeks to get the gallbladder out but very glad that I shouldn't be in this pain until it comes out.
Thanks for the thoughts and prayers from friends and family. Love you guys!!

1 comment: