Monday, December 27, 2010

Projects, Projects, and more Projects....

I worked on a multitude of projects this holiday season, some to be given as gifts and others just because the idea popped in my head and they could be completed quickly.
I plan on sharing some of these on my blog in the coming days.
First I'd like to share... the acorn wreath
I don't know what I was thinking but I only took 2 pictures, I made four of them as Christmas gifts.

But here it is.

This one I gave to my neighbors, since the majority of the acorns came from their yard. The blue is a bit lighter than the picture shows. I think it turned out pretty. I made another one the exact same colors for my sister in law's mom (although due to shipping issues- this is going to be her first glimps of her gift! Merry Christmas Grandma Gigi!)



I made a natural colored one for my mom



I tied my mom's wreath with rope and didn't paint it so it would match her rustic decor.

I made another on for my sister in law and I have one more in process for myself :)
These were fun and pretty simple, although VERY time consuming.

The kids and I picked all the acorns from our yard, and the neighbors yard. Then we baked them 375 for 15 minutes to kill any buggies that might be inside... ewww... just don't think about that part. Then I used my hot glue gun to stick each acorn along a straw wreath (which run about $3), then once all the acorns were on, I spray painted the wreath, and tied on the ribbon for hanging.

This is a really budget friendly gift, but VERY time consuming, so if you plan on making these as gifts next year I recommend starting as soon as you see the acorns fall :)

I have read that some people use lima beans instead of acorns but I prefer the acorns and the kids can help collect them, so they feel like they contributed in the process.

No comments:

Post a Comment