Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Bedtime Balloon Buddies

So the kids are always asking tony and I to lay down with them at bedtime... when we insist that they lay down alone they yell from one room to the other at one another, they ask to go potty, for a drink, Troy is always 'starving' at bedtime... chaos!
Not to mention the brushing teeth, taking medicines, and going potty before bed drama...
so- I got creative and came up with a brilliant idea... bedtime balloon buddies!
I told the kids that if they took their medicines, brushed their teeth and got in bed without a fight I would share with them a small surprise-
Once they were quiet in their rooms, I went in to Sophia's room first, I tucked her in after prayers, and a few moments talking I asked her, "do you want something special to sleep with because mommy is not going to sleep with you tonight?" Of course she said "yes" and did not seem at all upset that I just told her I was not going to lay with her. I asked her if she wanted a big surprise or a little one, she said big one. I pulled out a pink balloon and began to blow it up really big. She squealed, "little one!" So I shrunk it down small. Then I asked her if she wanted her surprise to be a boy or a girl... "girl" so I pulled out a permanent marker and drew big eyes, with long eyelashes, a small nose, and a little smile with lips. I asked her if she wanted her surprise to have hair, long or short... I gave the balloon long hair and drew a bow on the top of her "head". I explained to her that this was her bedtime buddy, so she won't be lonely in her bed at night. If she was quiet and good she could keep her bedtime balloon buddy, but if she got up or was not laying quietly that I would have to come take the buddy away. I told her every night when she went was cooperative and obedient while getting ready for bed we could make a new bedtime balloon buddy every night. She was thrilled and has been quiet in her bed ever since.
I did the same for Troy. He got a yellow balloon and wanted it big, and designed a "boy" with curly hair, and sharp teeth, but friendly, with a tie like daddy. So far so good... I'll let you know how the rest of the night goes. :)

1 comment:

  1. Love the idea!! I think I will have to try it! We need to get together and share some mommy idea :) Call me anytime.

    ReplyDelete