Thursday, April 7, 2011

GF Fried Green Tomatoes

Saturday my Grand Daddy picked up some green tomatoes from the produce man. He always buys tomatoes, red or green, and gives them to me. Troy loves red tomatoes, he eats them like an apple (gross) and Tony cuts them and puts them on sandwiches, salads, or eats them as a side dish. I do not like red tomatoes... squishy and yick! and Sophia... she doesn't like anything that isn't a chicken nugget. Sophia may turn into a chicken nugget if she's not careful.
Anyway, Grand Daddy picked up some green tomatoes and suggested I make Fried Green Tomatoes. I have never made them before, much less tried to make them gluten free... which has been no easy task. But I looked up a recipe and figured out how I could make it with GF ingredients... so here's what I came up with. And it ended up tasting REALLY good.

Ingredients

4 large green tomatoes sliced (remove the tops and bottom)

2 eggs

1/2 cup milk (I used Lactaid)

1 cup GF flour (any kind will work)

1/2 cup bread crumbs (I used Udi bread and just took the ends off of the loaf and gave them a spin in the blender- on the grate setting)



2 tsp salt

1 tsp pepper

vegetable oil (1/2 in deep in skillet)


You are going to make 3 different mixes-

Mix 1- Flour

Mix 2- Eggs and Milk

Mix 3- Bread Crumbs, Salt and Pepper


Heat skillet on Medium with vegetable Oil

Coat sliced tomato in flour, dip in mix 2, then coat in mix 3, and toss 'em in the pan....

Cook till brown then flip... only takes a few minutes.



I served these over brown rice and it made for a yummy gluten free dinner. ;)

And fresh pineapple, from the garden, for dessert. Of course, everyone loved it, except Sophia.. she had brown rice, pineapple and apple slices, and a cheese stick... not sure what I am going to do with that girl...

No comments:

Post a Comment