Sunday, January 18, 2009

Family Outings

Family outings are as wonderful as they are exhausting, just like parenting. We have decided as
part of our "Family New Years Resolutions" we are going designate one day a month a "family outing day". Goes along with my need to build intentional memories while my children are still little and why they can't protest going out with mom and dad. I am going to live it up and enjoy it while I still have them at my will.

Today we went to the zoo. I love how "M" just gets up, gets dressed, puts the kids in their car seats and off we go on our way. He thinks that's just how easy it is. And he thinks he helped because he carried two dressed, feed, and clean children to the car.

Now, I got up and extra hour before everyone so that I could get ready in peace and pack a bag for the kids with diapers, change of clothes, cups, snacks, diaper rash cream, wipes, and any other items that may be needed for a day out with toddlers. And now that it's over I have another load of dirty laundry, a double stroller that needs to be cleaned because a beautiful little girl of mine spilled a chocolate milkshake in it. I may have "M" take the whole stroller and just pressure wash it in the driveway. =)

More than that though, I have a day full of fabulous memories of taking my 3 year old and 1 year old to the zoo. Never again will I experience my son seeing monkeys with the eyes of a curious 15 month old. Or see my daughter stare into the eyes of a snake who she swears is looking at the scratch that her brother gave her two weeks ago when he scratched her nose. Yes, there will, God willing, be many more family outings, but never again will I walk under those zoo signs with a 15 month old curly headed little boy and a 3 year old little girl with hearts on her size 3T denim jeans. Or see my husband hold the adoring hands of his son and daughter while they walk through the sand and mulch leading to the boardwalk meanwhile I struggle behind pushing the stroller loaded with jackets, bags, cups, snacks through the thick sand and mulch, but I notice at my feet a set of two tiny footprints with his big daddy prints right in the middle. So for all the preparation and work that goes into a family outing, in the long run it's defiantly worth it.

But in reality, it's a good thing we are only doing this once a month, I think any more may be the death of me in 2009. One down only eleven more too go.

We are home, the children I am sure will sleep great tonight. While I may very well pass out here at the kitchen table while I type this. I better get the coffee pot going ;) I sure do wish I had the endless energy that my son displays all day long and the imagination of my glorious little girl.

No comments:

Post a Comment