Sunday, January 25, 2009

Devotional worth sharing.

“Since we live by the Spirit, let us keep in step with the Spirit” (Galatians 5:25 NIV.)

My son’s band teacher posed this question to the class: “Which is better, to play the right note at the wrong time or the wrong note but with the correct timing?” It doesn’t seem like either would be pleasant to hear, but as the teacher explained, a note – any note – at the wrong time is a much more obvious error in an orchestra than a wrong note played within the perfect rhythm of the song.


That concept was reinforced when my daughter was learning to play the violin. It was important for her to practice playing to the rhythm I set by clapping.


I think keeping in step with the Spirit is like that. It is to hear and agree with God’s timing, to walk in sync with God’s will.


It requires, first of all, admitting that I don’t have or understand perfect timing. I must therefore, be constantly referring to the one in charge, adjusting my speed to the tempo the leader has set.


It is easy to rush ahead of God, making big plans and thinking surely God will join up with my great idea.

Opposite to that, but equally simple to accomplish, is lagging behind God – not living up to what we know. There will always be shortcomings in our lives, areas of sin that we aren’t aware of, but that is no excuse for not following through on the things God has already made clear to us.

http://christianwomentoday.com/devotionals/daily/2836.html%20%20%20%20

2 comments:

  1. Holly- Thank you for this. It was great and VERY timely :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Holly,
    Thanks for commenting on my blog. Your family is beautiful! Love your blog. I'll be back!

    ReplyDelete