Saturday, May 7, 2011

It's Summer Vacation and we are living it up...

Yet the learning doesn't stop!
We don't have our traditional school time but every night before bedtime the kids love to end the night with individual "learning time". Sophia's love language is quality time and she loves this one on one learning time with mommy. We usually spend 20 to 30 minutes working in a reading book.

I scooped this up on a home educators resale shop for $10. I had heard about this book and Sophia was begging me to help her learn to read. We had done a lot of pre-reading skills during the school year. She can recognize sight words but was having trouble putting sounds into words. We are only on lesson 8 and I am already amazed as to how she can now hear the letters in words. She is sounding words out. There are writing 'tasks' at the end of each lesson and even her handwriting has improved.
She is so confident and loves working in this book. It is a little repetitive but she enjoys it- it fits her learning style and it's a great match for her.
I like that it is designed for mother/father and child. I plan on using this with Troy next summer. I'm not sure that it fits his learning style but I know he'll enjoy the one on one time.

No comments:

Post a Comment