Monday, November 7, 2011

Veteran's Day Lesson

I really like homeschooling. I think that every parent should consider themselves a homeschooling family, even if their children go to school, reason being... because children need to learn from home, they need to learn from their parents. It is our duty to teach our children whether they go to public school, private school, homeschool, whatever... the foundation should be built at home.

I was thinking today, some of the most meaningful teaching opportunities we have as parents are when our children are home. Thanksgiving, Christmas... important holidays, great teaching opportunities and our children are not in school but when they are at home.

Veteran's Day is coming up, this is not going to be a day off, rather a special day to learn and celebrate those who served and serve our country... we will be learning about the difference between Memorial Day and Veteran's Day. We will right a thank you card and take it to a Veteran. We will call Daddy, Nonnie, Poppa, Uncle Matt and Great Poppa thanking them for the time they spent serving our country.

As I was thinking about our Veteran's Day plans I was thinking, this day should not be viewed a free day, it is not just a day to be out of school. As many of my friends are planning what they are going to do with the day off, I hope you take the opportunity to teach your child/children what this day off is really all about. We need to not let the hustle of life keep us from taking time to teach our children important lessons. We should take advantage of the opportunities and teach them what these important dates are really about.

So to share with my homeschool friends and my non-homeschooling friends. This is the Veteran's Day Packet we will be working on this Friday. I hope you can find something useful and take a little time to remember what the day is about and share it with your children.

A Mother's Heart is a Child's Classroom

No comments:

Post a Comment