Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Call me a "Hater" and then something really cool...

So, call me a "hater" but I have to say this. I have watched Hulk Hogan since I was a young child. I watched Hogan Knows Best on MTV, I am a reality TV junkie. As I write this I am watching RW/RR Challenge: The Island. I have always been pretty indifferent to the show. I think they are funny, stupid, spoiled, and at times real. I pity both families who were involved in the car accident with Nick Hogan. They are people, they make mistakes and I am not going to pass judgement in such a horrible situation.
Like I said, pretty indifferent, and I have never written anything like this... but... it must be said! Sunday night was the spin off from Hogan Knows Best with Brooke Hogan, called Brooke Knows Best. I have been watching the show for a while now. It is my "mindless entertainment", I need to unwind and watch something that means nothing once I get the kids to sleep. All day, Tony and I text message and follow the stock market, the election, the important things... but at night, I just can't sleep after watching a story about a missing child or a father who murdered his family and then killed himself because of economic hardships... thus, I watch reality television. Let me say, I did NOT sleep well after watching Brooke Knows Best on Sunday night.
Until this time I was indifferent, I just didn't care... it was entertaining and didn't give me that hollow feeling in the pit of my stomach. However, this week's episode, incase you didn't see it (I hope you didn't share the pain with me) but it was Brooke Hogan considering going to college. During the episode she was taken to meet with a guidance counsellor, she sat through a college literature class, she saw the dorm rooms, and off course she went to a bonfire and got to meet some other college students. Now, sounds like a good episode right? WRONG! She was so incredibly spoiled acting, which is not a surprise, that's the common thread in every episode.. however, she acted more spoiled and more snotty than I have ever seen. She mocked the guidance counsellor, was disrespectful to the employees and the students. You could tell she thought she was being cute... since when has acting less intelligent and just plain rude become a trait that young women should thrive for and think is attractive?
You know being a young woman in her position, she has media attention, she has seen her fair share of hurt and upset in the situation with her brother and her parents divorce... she could be a strong, independent, professional, fun, happy, sexy, energetic, young woman and really be an example for other young women... or even be a selfish, spoiled stink that lives in a Miami penthouse and doesn't do anything for the world but have a pointless show and makes bad pop music. Instead she has gone to a college and degraded everyone practically everyone she came in contact with. Picked fun at the living conditions in the dorm rooms, acting above everyone.
Does she not realize that there are young people who pray that they will get accepted to college, pray that their scholarships or grants will go through, people who work full time to pay for one class a semester while they take care of a family, people who never have the opportunity to go to college... then you have Brooke Hogan who instead of using the opportunity to give credit, admiration, and clarity to the role of students in a college setting, she made it seem like that life was for middle class citizens with nothing better to do. Mocking the living conditions like she was too good for that kind of life. I am sure college literature isn't the most thrilling class, but don't be so disrespectful as to fall asleep, phone ringing... disrupting the class. It wasn't funny, it wasn't entertaining, that show was annoying!
Don't even get me started on Paris Hilton's My New BFF show...
But, seriously... what horrible example for our young women in today's society. I'll tell you I don't want my daughter thinking an ignorant and condescending attitude is at all attractive.
OK, I promise never to do a post like this again.. but I had to get it out. :)
Now, let me add something really special... October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month, now regardless of your (or my) political stance this was a really cool thing that happened at the White House last night. :)

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for posting this! I don't feel so LAME!! The fact that I even know what RR/RW is, is just WRONG! But I love them! I watch all of the same reality shows plus some. I really like Hogan Knows Best and I have not seen Brooke's show just because I have not seen it on, I really like Nicole Richie and Paris's show, but will not BFF, I mean really! I totally agree with you, they have no idea what LIFE is all about, not a clue, they have ever had to find out and probably never will! Do you watch The Hills? I love it!!!
    Tami

    ReplyDelete