Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Peace and Quiet

This is the quietest this hospital room has been since Monday when we arrived. I am glad I got woke up this morning by all the noise outside, it makes me appreciate the quiet much more. ;) Sophia slept good from about 8 until 10, when a nurse came in to check her vitals, I knew that this would wake her. Sure enough she woke scared and screaming. I can't wait to run my fingers in her hair and kiss her forehead. We aren't supposed to touch the "gauze hat" because the electrodes under it are all attached and I guess they could come loose. I didn't realize how often I comfort her by rubbing her head or playing with her hair until now. I did get her back to sleep by 1030 but she was so unhappy. It was really disturbing to see her hitting her head like she was. I know she was just fed up with all of this and I don't blame her, she is acting out like any three year old would. She will be glad to go home today. I hope we don't bring any germies home with us. The hallway here smells like Lysol. I told Sophia that I wouldn't wash my hair until she was able to wash hers... and I know my head is itchy!! I bet hers feels even worse with that gauze wrapped over her. They have kept this room very cold because they said the wrap gets hot and sweaty easily. Yes, I am fasting from washing my hair, gross huh!? I believe Auntie Rie isn't washing her hair either :) First thing I am going to do when we get home is jump in the shower with Sophia and wash our hair!

Back to the peacefulness of this morning though, it is like a busy airport here. Tony said it was like an ant farm with hundreds of busy ants. It's a shame because rarely do you get a smile or anyone acknowledges you- makes me all more aware to be kind to others. You never know what is going on in people's lives and you should never assume either. I remember when Sophia was little and she was first going through her MRIs, EEGs, and other tests for the first time. She was probably about 15 months old and I was sitting with her outside a restaurant. She was crying and feeling pretty bad, after sleep deprivation, fasting, and to top it off she had had the stomach flu... I was holding her as she cried and I got tears in my eyes and this girl walked up and said "oh come on it can't be that bad" -well, it can.

A simple smile and a wave means the world to a child. While we have been here it's the handful of people who made this stay a good one while the majority were cold and just plain rude. I wish that it was opposite and there was just a handful who were rude... but those few who were nice, there kindness shines and those are the thoughts we will take home with us. My sweet angel girl thanked God last night for "Miss Cole (Nicole), the lady who brung me toys, the one who brung me a sticker, the nurse with the fish shirt, and Rosa the food princess" -It really doesn't take much to make a child feel good. To the loud doctor whose booming voice echos down the hall at 2am, sick children are trying to sleep is it really necessary?

And here was the excitment for the day.. "'Giarafy' broke his head off" and the nurse with the fish on her shirt gave him a bandage until we can go home and sow him back together again. Yes, his head literally broke off. :)



Well, we are going home some time today. I think around noon. I should have the results from the tests when we leave and that will make all of this worth it. Thank God for the technology we have. Praying for great test results!

No comments:

Post a Comment