Thursday, July 10, 2008

Bragging on my girl daddy.


*Tony and Sophia working on the trampoline we got in June.

It takes a special man to be a daddy, and in my mind it takes a really special man to be a girl daddy. There is no argument that women and men are created totally different. Women tend to be more emotional, more nurturing... while men are hairier and can open jars easier (it was all I could think of, but you get where I am going with this, right!?) God created us perfectly different from one another. I heard someone say that the best role model for a child is the same gender parent. Let's not confuse though, the importance of the opposite gender parent either. I am extremely important to Troy- OK, OK, Tony is the one who will be the example for Troy when he is older and Troy will follow by Tony's example (scary!!! -just kidding). It very important for parents to be aware that they are under constant scrutiny from their children- your children are a product of you... be a good example :)


Back to this great girl daddy thing...


It was a rocky beginning for Tony starting off into the world of fatherhood. He underestimated it, he says it himself, I think most men do. Sophia was a difficult baby though, she was sick quite a bit, skinny little thing, cried all the time... the stress on parents of a newborn is tough, even worse when it is an unhappy newborn. It took him time to come around- he slowly learned baby things- like changing diapers, bath time, bedtime routines, how to button pajamas (he still is working on that)... all the normal baby stuff. He made progress with her. Seeing him with her today, he really does a good job being a girl daddy.


Now, Tony comes from a family of boys. He has two younger brothers. I think he only has one girl cousin on his mom's side... and one on his dad's side.. so he really was raised with a bunch of boys. Tony is a typical man's man- football, fishing, boxing, weightlifting.... you get the idea. So, his first child being a daughter was quite a shock for him, for me, for everyone.. we just figured Sophia was going to be a boy. We were surprised. I even took a blue outfit to the hospital when she was born, in case they got it wrong. Out of seven grand babies Sophia is the only girl on Tony's side of the family. God has really worked wonders in Tony's parenting in the past year. I have seen him really change, he was a good daddy before, but he is a great girl daddy now. He is patient, gentle, calm- he has become a great girl daddy (I can't say it enough). Not saying that boys don't need those traits in a father too, but if you have a girl and a boy you will understand the difference in parenting styles. Even in their play- Troy is rough, he likes to roll around, wrestle, we call him our little rascal. Sophia wants someone to play dolls, sing songs, dress up.... I saw Tony playing baby dolls with Sophia... yes, I if I hadn't seen it with me own eyes I don't think I would have believed it. He was even talking in a high pitch voice. You should have seen the joy on her little face. She was so trilled. She told him, you be the daddy and I'll be the mommy. I always thought the biggest compliment a little girl can give her daddy is to say she wants to marry him. He will sit in the recliner and sing songs with her. He takes time to listen to her when she is sad. He is patient in dealing with her emotions- Lord knows, she is emotional! They even went to Disney together and left Troy and I at home. He takes time for her. Regardless of gender, children need their parents attention, love, adoration... I have seen a difference in Tony though, the way he handles Sophia and Troy. He is conforming to her needs, while Troy's needs come so natural for him. Tony really has changed, he really is a great girl daddy- I am so proud of him.





She is the little girl who wants to marry her daddy.

2 comments:

  1. What a coincidence. We were just talking about the same subject (in different light) over dinner last night. We had been talking about what makes a child grow up to be successful, well self-esteemed, and have a high self-worth (mind you, this was a conversation with two other women who do not have children). I expressed my beliefs about the importance of a very nurturing relationship with the opposite sex parent - loving, affectionate, boundaries, praise, etc. I am a firm believer in making sure that children know that they are of absolute importance in life - they have thoughts that are valid, they have emotions that they should be free to express and they have feelings that people need to be delicate with. It was funny because these two women really have a lot of "ideas" on the more someone struggles the better they are, blah, blah. I don't believe it for one minute - yes there are people who rise up from horrible childhoods to be great people, but for the most part, not everybody's that driven. You have to have parents who adore you and make a big deal out of your milestones in this life -- as daddy's do so well with their daughters, wink, wink (Matt is a big ol' pushover when it comes to SophiaBug)
    What a wonderful, wonderful post to write about your husband! He is lucky to have you that you give such praise for his accomplishments as a father. And of course, he is lucky to have you. And both of you are so fortunate to have two beautiful children to teach you the ways of the world ;) I learn something new everyday being a mom, and I learn it from my precious little beings.
    Hope you guys have a fabulous weekend, hoping Sophi's elbow is doing well. Chase Troy around a little extra for me, knowing that I can't wait to start chasing my little Sophia (she needs to get moving, she's getting too big for me to carry anymore!!)
    Hugs & Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a precious post! I love the pic! My husband is also nurturing and fun with our kids. The picture reminded me so much of him too because he is always "doing." We recently put together a playground for the kids to play on. Well, he assembled. I retrieved whatever was needed moment by moment.
    Beautiful blog!

    ReplyDelete