Saturday, July 26, 2008

A fork in the eye!

Friday afternoon the kids got up from their naps and we loaded up and drove out to my mom's house. I love going to my mom's house. It really is that feeling of, going home. Nothing beats it. It's somewhere I can always go. That farm, that dirt road, that house, will always hold a special place in my heart. My mom has lived in the same place since I was born. Anyway, we were headed out to the farm for some swimming and family time. We went in the pool, hung out with my sister, my mom, and Aaron (sister's boyfriend). It was fun, we laughed and had a great time. Lana and Aaron were taking off for dinner and a movie. Mom was heading to the barn and was going to make some beans and rice. Sophia and I talked her into going to Outback instead. The kids were in there pajamas with no shoes, mom and I got dressed and headed to an early dinner. We were having the best time. We ordered coconut shrimp, my favorite! and we were having an awesome time. The food came and I heard my mom (who was sitting with Sophia) say, "Sophi where's Mimi's fork?"... I looked up...
"Here it is", Sophia said.
As she swung around and accidentally poked my mom in the eye with the fork.
My mom grabbed her eye, Sophia screamed.... we would not be finishing our dinner.
We boxed our food up and off to the urgent care. Mom is an RN and she knew something was wrong, she said she felt the fork go into her eye. (Gives me chills thinking about it.) Luckily, some of her nurse friends were eating there and helped us get to the car.
Sophia was obviously upset, but mom did a great job of telling her it was just an accident but Mimi had to go to the doctor to get it checked out, but she would be fine....
Now, to make a really, really, long story short-
Mom ended up with a scratch on her eyeball... lots of pain... but it should heal... they gave her pain meds and antibiotic ointment.. she will follow up on Monday with an eye doctor.
Horrible!!! Little Sophia ended up pooping her pants from stress- God love her! She said "Mommy, I pooped because I was soo scared when I poked Mimi's eye with the fork." I was worried that the stress would lower the threshold for her seizures, but as far as I know she didn't have any.
I think mom will heal up just fine, and Sophia enjoys telling everyone about her accident with Mimi and the fork. She has talked to my mom on the phone a few times, and mom reassures her that she is fine.
Kudos to Aaron, he was awesome help with the kids. Part of the long story, was, mom didn't have her purse (we were treating her) so I dropped her an urgent care and had to go home to get her ID, insurance cards, etc. Aaron and Lana cut their date short and came home to feed the horses (obviously mom wasn't going to be able to do it). Aaron was soo good. He kept Sophia and Troy for me to get Sophia's mind off of mom's eye. She was so upset and Aaron did a great with her. He was so tender to her. He is going to be a great daddy someday. He held her and loved on her the whole time I was with mom. She told him "Aaron, I pooped in my panties when I was scared"... the straightest face, he said "it's ok Sophi, sometimes I do that too". Funny, but it meant the world to her. She told me "Mommy, do you know it's ok I pooped in my panties, Aaron does that too when he is scared." OH Aaron!! Thank you for being so wonderful!! He was also great support to Lana who hates it when anyone is hurt.
What a night that was huh!!??? Poor Mimi!

Also, now I have to tell you all that my sweet nephew Xavier is 3 today. They live in TN so we won't be seeing him on his birthday :( but my heart is with him today on his special day.
Happy Birthday Xavi-Bop! Auntie Holly Loves You!!!

1 comment:

  1. Happy, happy birthday Xavier!

    What a story, lady! I'm glad to hear that even the second time in the ER, she's going to be ok. I'm also glad that Sophi got to being ok with it, too! Bless her heart. And Aaron sounds like a gem, pooping in his pants and all! That's so sweet of him, I'm glad he made it ok for Sophi =) Thanks, Aaron, kudos to you.
    Have a wonderful evening!

    ReplyDelete